Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What I'm reading

My bookshelves are covered in photography books and with all due respect, a good portion of the how-to guides are crap. There are a few jewels in the rough, generally those that move past the technicalities and into the philosophy and the thought process of the artists. Galen Rowell's The Inner Game of Outdoor Photography and Phillipe L. Gross' The Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing are perfect examples. These are the kinds of books that move beyon f-stop and depth of field to discuss how to see, find, and interpret images. In other words how to make your photography art.

Right now I'm reading another book that tried to blend, somewhat successfully, the art and the science of imagery. It is called The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman. I'm enjoying it overall. The text is well thought out and here I think, in that respect, he is on the right track, but I'm finding many of the images less than compelling. Then again, I'm not far into it and that may change. Perhaps I'll post a more detailed review at some point later.

No comments:

Post a Comment