Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A few words on gear

For all my ranting in previous posts about how much gear doesn't matter, I still own and use a lot of it. And because "What kind of camera/lens/tripod/filters/memory cards/backpack/toothbrush do you use?" is the one question I get most often, I thought I'd answer that right away. Here is a quick list and some thoughts on my gear:

1. Tripod- Gitzo GT5540LS- (carbon fiber 4 section legs)/Kirk Ball Head/Wimberly Sidekick
Let's start with the most important piece of equipment in a photographer's quiver. No I'm not talking about the camera (that is assumed) I'm talking about the TRIPOD. If there is one tool that will improve your photography it is this. Now mine is particularly good. I finally got around to buying the best because I got sick of messing around with and being frustrated by cheaper models. But even an inexpensive one will greatly improve your shooting. If you don't have one, go get one. Now.

2. Camera bodies: Canon 40d and Canon 20d and a Canon G9 point and shoot.
I carry two bodies on most of my adventures. It gives some comfort if one of them croaks to have a backup. Plus when the shooting is fast and furious I can mount them both up with different lenses. The 40d is a good mid-level camera, I have very few complaints. Good noise reduction up to about 400 or even 800 ISO, big screen and live view. The 20d is a bit out-dated but it has been very reliable for several years now and I refuse to get rid of it until I can afford to upgrade. The G9 is a great little camera to carry around. It gives publishable results and is RAW capable. Most importantly it goes everywhere.

3. Lenses
A. Canon 70-200 f2.8L - This is my all time favorite lens. Great range, sharp, fast, good bokeh and works for everything from portraits to landscapes to wildlife. Worth every dime of its hefty price tag.
B. Canon 17-40 f4L- My wide angle. When I'm not shooting wildlife I keep this lens mounted up on one of my two cameras with the 70-200. Good, sharp, but I wish it was a stop faster.
C. Canon 500 f4L- The big lens in my quiver and my standard for wildlife. It is big so draws a bit of attention which can be a problem when I'm trying to concentrate on something, but is a good conversation starter at slower moments. It is sharp, fast and takes the 1.4x or 2x Canon teleconverters for extra magnification (though my bodies won't focus automatically with the 2x).
D. Canon 100 f2.8 macro- As much as I love to shoot macro shots this lens doesn't get a lot of use. When I'm packing light, this one stays at home. Still, it has great bokeh, works as a surprisingly good portrait lens and easily magnifies to 1:1.
E. Sigma 30mm f1.4- Since I bought the 17-40 this one also sees less use. I still like the lens a lot. It is sharp, very fast and proves that you don't have to have Canon lenses to have good glass. Plus it was fairly inexpensive for this good of a piece of equipment.

4. Flash- Canon 420 EX Speedlight.
This is a notable weak point in my gear list. It does fine, but just that, no more.

5. Accessories
A. On-flash soft box for portraits- useful in the right circumstances.
B. Flash extender/magnifier for telephoto work- Useful for fill-light on wildlife.
C. Polarizers for every lens but the 500mm- These are on my lenses almost all the time.
D. Cabled remote trigger- Vital for long exposures, and for maximum sharpness.
E. Cable flash extender- Useful for adjusting flash direction.

6. Packs
A. Mountainsmith Paragon- This is mostly my storage pack at this point.
B. Crumpler Brazilian Dollar Home- This is my main bag. It can handle all my photo gear minus the 500, my laptop and accessories. It organizes strangely from the top which makes quick access to stuff lower down a bit tricky, but it is a shoulder bag which allows me to work out of it when needed. Also, because it is a shoulder bag, I've never even gotten a sideways look from airline personnel when carrying it on.
C. Custom made Apocalypse Design case for the 500- This is a basic rectangular padded case with handles and a shoulder strap. It can hold the 500 with camera and teleconverter mounted on it. When I travel I carry this and and the Crumpler as my carry-ons. I've never had a problem, though it all gets a bit heavy on long walks between gates.

D. Many pocketed waist belt designed for archery- This is large enough to hold a wide angle lens, filters, extra batteries, a small water bottle, snacks and other knick-knacks when I'm shooting in the field. I attach the case that came with the 70-200 onto the belt to hold that lens when not in use. It provides easy access to all my stuff without having to take off a backpack. This is a much cheaper though perhaps somewhat less functional alternative to the excellent system made by Think Tank.

That is the bulk of my gear. The fact is that no matter how much crap you own it is you that makes the images. The cool lenses, tripods and bodies are tools to get the images you want but tools only. They cannot replace the photographer's eye, artistic sense, or emotion. Start with the art and then start worrying about stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment