Monday, September 14, 2009

Denali over Wonder Lake

Denali, early morning from Wonder Lake. Canon 40d, 17-40 f4 L.
1/80 sec, f6.3, ISO 200, handheld from a bus window.
(Click for a larger version)

During both National Geographic trips that I led this summer, we had spectacular luck with the weather. During both trips we stayed at a lodge in the historic Kantishna Mining District which lies at the far western end of the Denali Park Road. The lodge is about five miles from Wonder Lake. If you've seen an image of Denali, there is a good chance it was made from somewhere within a few miles of where I made the above image.

This particular image has a message: Make the shot even if the conditions are not ideal. I made this from a bus window on our way out of the park on the last morning. I wanted desperately to stop and get out, set up the tripod and make the most of what promised to be a spectacular morning. Unfortunately there was no time for such luxuries, and my job was not to make images but to keep my clients happy and well informed. But at least I was there, and for that I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment