Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Denali in Black and White

Denali from the McKinley River, Black and White.
Canon 40d, 1/13th sec, f22, ISO 100, handheld while sitting.
17-40mm f4.0 L at 17mm.

One of the nicest aspects of wide-angle lenses is the ability to handhold at VERY slow shutter speeds. If, that is, you've got a steady hand and the right technique. For this image I sat down cross-legged on the gravel bar and propped my elbows on my knees to provide some extra support. 1/13th, the speed this image was made is about my limit for sharp images, but it was sufficient to smooth the glacial water in the foreground.

This was mid-day and very bright. The original image has washed out colors, but I liked the composition so I converted to black and white, then did a fair amount of post-processing in Lightroom to optimize the contrast. It probably could still use a bit of work, I'd like to bring those clouds a bit closer to true white.

I made this image after about a 3 mile walk from Wonder Lake. It is a nice easy hike, that on days like these has one of the best views in Denali National Park. Click on it for a bigger version.

No comments:

Post a Comment