Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ruffed Grouse, and stuff...

Ruffed Grouse
Canon 7D, 70-200f2.8L IS, f2.8, 1/200th second, ISO 1600, handheld.

This lovely Ruffed Grouse visited a tree just outside one of my cabin's windows day before yesterday. I had just a moment to snap an image or two before it wandered off into the woods. Which leads me to a thought:

Chase Jarvis the excellent commercial and lifestyle photographer and teacher, has a new book out called The Best Camera (is the one that's with you). It is a collection of his images shot from his iphone as well as some thoughts on opportunistic photography. I haven't read it, and probably won't for a while. Nothing against the book, I'm sure its great, but I've got a stack of photo books I'm working my way through and that one is way down at the bottom somewhere. However the POINT of the book is very clear- Have a camera with you. Always. The image above is representative of that. It seems like, much to my girlfriend's chagrin, that I always have a camera somewhere within arm's reach. Camera gear is scattered about our very small cabin, and it constantly gets in the way. But THIS is why. If I'd had to go digging for a camera, the grouse would have wandered off and I would have missed it entirely. But because I had my 7D sitting on a nearby chair, mounted with the 70-200, I got the image. No it isn't as good as it would have been had I had the chance to mount up the 500 on a tripod, but it's a perfectly acceptable image that I got because I was ready. So carry a camera. Always.

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful picture! I'm not a professional, but I keep my point and shoot with me everywhere I go. You just never know what you might see.

    So, are you happy with your 7D? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,
    Thanks for the recent comments and for reading. When I don't have one of my big cameras around, I too carry a point and shoot, it is better to have some kind of camera than none. And regarding the 7D I like it a lot. It's not perfect, but quite good. I'm going to try to post some thoughts on it today, so stay tuned.

    -Dave

    ReplyDelete