Monday, March 30, 2009

SERIOUS Flash photography


Well, actually it was just a few minutes screwing around with camera, tripod, flash, off-camera cable, a compact Lumiquest softbox, and my own ugly mug. I've never been much into flash photography and honestly (in my mis-guided thinking) kind of looked down on strobe work as a crutch. Well it isn't a crutch, and in fact can greatly enhance many photographic situations. I'm not sure what brought me around to this thinking, but I believe it has something to do with the resurgence of my artistic sense in photography. I've been reading up on small flash photography, spending time reading the Strobist blog, and reading Joe McNally's new book : The Hotshoe Diaries. The latter is an excellent read. Joe 's writing is funny and entertaining but most importantly extremely useful. It isn't an instruction manual per se, rather he tells stories of how he made the images in the book. But there is little doubt you will come out at the end a lot more capable of making great light.

I also spent a few hours on Friday evening shooting a National Championship Nordic ski race. Tricky, fast, work in bad, overcast light, but I got a few decent images, I think. Look for a few shots in the near future.Link

No comments:

Post a Comment