Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ice!

Yes indeed the answer to the previous day's mystery photos, which no one even attempted to guess, is formations of ice. I happen to live on a small creek here on my Alaskan ten acres. The creek, during the summer anyway, flows beneath my driveway through a large culvert. In winter, that culvert ices up, all the way to the top and the overflow ice floods out along the valley floor covering my driveway in a thick layer of ice that builds up as more water spills out onto the surface. Now, nearing spring, the ice covers an area the size of a football field with several feet of rock-hard water. This is a hassle to say the least, but it makes for some very interesting photographic subjects. The images of the past couple of days show the layers as they are forming, one inch on top of another on top of another, forming what look like miniature mountain ranges, alluvial fans, and flood plains.

Needless to say, I won't be sad to watch my photographic subjects melt away over the next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment