Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Back to the basics


For all my blather about art, vision, and the creative process. I still really enjoy just taking my camera, my big lens and and finding a nice cooperative bird to photograph. It doesn't take a lot of effort to frame, compose or light. You just arrange yourself in the best possible location for the sun, think about the background and the depth of field and start shooting. It's a bit like eating candy. Fun and easy to consume, but too much of it will make you sick. Still, for me, wildlife is a big part of my income. Many of the magazines I write for are birding and wildlife publications and these straight-forward images are the best accompaniment.

Anyway, this shot of a Great Gray Owl, I made yesterday afternoon about two miles from my house. The bird was very cooperative and perched in the same tree without flying for the hour I spent with it. I would have liked to get some flight shots, or something with a bit better background than the hazy blue sky, but I can't always have everything I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment