Friday, February 5, 2010

Striated Caracara: Steeple Jason Island, Falklands

Striated Caracara on Steeple Jason Island, Falklands
Canon 7D, 17-40f4L @ 40mm, 1/400th sec/ f10, ISO 200, handheld while laying on the ground

Steeple Jason Island, as well as being home to the largest colony of seabirds in the western hemisphere, is also home to numerous pairs of Striated Caracaras. These birds are exceedingly bold. Living on islands as they do, without any predators, they are accustomed to being the top of the food chain. They are quite unwilling to allow something as inconsequential as humans to change that. Striated Caracaras are scavengers for the most part, but also prey upon penguin and other seabird chicks when the opportunity arises. It is their scavenger nature that makes them most interesting from a photographic perspective. Let me tell you the story:

This bird, and two others, were scratching around in the dirt and heather, taking occasional dust-baths when I and a group of clients walked up. Now tourism etiquette in the southern ocean requires that we don't approach an animal closer than 15 feet. Of course the animals themselves are under no such restrictions and are perfectly allowed to approach you. When I saw these birds, I laid down on the ground to snap a few low-angle portraits with my 500mm. I didn't get to snap a shot, because as soon as I laid down this bird looked at me and bounded straight over. There I was, on my stomach, with a large, endangered, and highly photogenic raptor about a foot away, with a 500mm lens on my camera. It couldn't have been more worthless for the situation. So I decided to just enjoy the moment and watch. The Caracara hopped about, I slowly sat up, it came over and eyed my foot, wondering surely if I was yet dead enough to eat. Eventually, I could take it no longer and slowly removed my camera backpack, unzipped it and pulled out the 17-40. Every movement I made the bird became less sure I was about to die. I was certain that before I managed to get the lens on the camera that the caracara would decide I was too alive to consume and fly off, it's head down in disappointment.

Gratefully, my slow and occasionally jerky movements perhaps resembled death throes and I was able to get the lens on while not losing the bird's interest. I snapped a few from a sitting position before lowering myself again to the ground for this low angle, wide perspective of the Caracara on the rock with the mountains of Steeple Jason in the background.

I managed to snap off a few shots before the poor bird realized that this clicking, breathing, and occasionally brightly-flashing human was not, in fact, food. Finally it did arrive at the truth and flew off to look for something a bit closer to death.

Sorry to disappoint.

5 comments:

  1. beautiful shot, as always, David! Sounds like another incredible trip.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, It was indeed a great trip. I'd forgotten how much I love the southern ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,
    That is quite a persepective and a dramatic juxtapostion between the bird, so close, and the distant mountains. I really like this shot and remember seeing it on your computer on the journey. I can't remember, did he ever spread the wings for you? Your previous post of the albatross was sweet too, the bird is in perfect wing stride. Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Patrick. And no he never did open his wings for me. I have several other from the series with different poses including one with the bird turning it's head upside down, which is humorous, but looks awkward. I think this one is the most dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave,
    Glad you are back in the blog saddle again. All four of your most recent photos are magnificent. The Yukon quest photo of the dogs captures both joy and excitement of the event. The albatross banking so peacefully in the turbulent world around it is a metaphor for today's life. Not to demean your work in any way, but it could be one of those leadership/meaning of life posters most of us have had in our offices at one time on another. I would buy one!!.
    a Colo. fan

    ReplyDelete