Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Kings of South Georgia- continued

Kings fresh from the ocean
Canon 7D, 17-40f4L @17mm, 1/200th, f5.6, ISO 100, handheld

So before the rotten weather from the last post hit we had a few wonderful hours at the Salisbury Plain King Penguin colony. Honestly, I didn't spend a heck of a lot of time at the colony itself. The birds coming and going from the beach were so interesting and photogenic that I hardly got myself more than a few hundred meters from the landing location for most of the morning.

Cheesemans' Safaris works hard to get people on shore for as long as possible. And this morning, like several during the trip, there was the option for an early landing. Clients could skip breakfast in exchange for more time on shore. As staff, we weren't really given that choice, which was fine since I would have been there anyway. The early risers on this particular morning were well rewarded. Some of the best light we had on the island, we found during those early hours. After breakfast, when the lie-a-beds were making it to shore, the clouds rolled in, it started to snow, the wind picked up and within a couple of hours it looked like that video in the last post. Things change fast in the southern ocean and you can never assume you'll have a second chance.

The top image is one of several favorites from the trip. I was walking my way slowly up the beach, making photos as they presented themselves when this group of Kings erupted from the water and waddled up the beach toward me. It was almost a grab-shot, but it worked.

Three Kings
Canon 7d, 17-40 f4L @17mm, 1/250th, f5.6, ISO 100, handheld

This next image was made around the same time as the first. So many Kings were moving up and down the beach that I just parked myself on the sand and waited for groups to walk by. I never waited long, there was a steady stream of birds coming and going, coming and going. When I looked down the beach toward the colony it was just a wall of birds and seals.

Eventually I'll get around to posting some video clips, or if I'm really ambitious an edited compilation of the trip. Better than a photo, video shows the density and constant motion of the wildlife. But you'll just have to wait for that.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this shot. Their markings are so striking in the first place. Secondly they look like they're just out for a stroll. :-) Very cool!

    ReplyDelete